Thread: Titan 5500 Diesel Portable Generator

Default Titan 5500 Diesel Portable Generator

I picked up another gen project. This one is a Titan (Chinese) 5500W Diesel. The motor is the typical China Diesel 178 which is a copy of the Yanmar (Japanese and very good) L70 Diesel motor. Parts interchange between the Chinese 178 and Yanmar L70.
    The gen head and components are typical Chinese quality, adequate but not great. It came with an extra frame and gen head.
    The pull rope was broken and pull handle missing. $5 at K&D supplied parts to get that taken care of.
    I got it to fire briefly but the in-tank fuel filter had turned to mush and clogged the tank valve which is probably a good thing because I don't think too much trash was able to get into the injector pump. I flushed the tank out and installed a new filter/valve assembly and fuel level gauge I had on hand. I plan to pull the starter and cover the starter hole. IMO, unless you use gens a lot the starter and battery are just extra weight and maintenance. There is a procedure for pull starting and you have to use the decompression lever in order for the pull start to work.
    This unit is a typical example of the Chinese Diesel 5000-6000W rated gen sets that sell new for $800-1200.
    A copy of the owner's manual for this unit can be found here:
    http://titanindustrial.net/manuals/0620065500d.pdf

Last edited by derf; June 25th, 2011 at 12:37 AM.

It's alive. I had to replace the 120V receptacle, and do some work in the electronics box. I found evidence of loose connections that got hot. I stripped off the starter. I was going to strip off the 12V charging stuff but this gen uses the 12V it generates to feed the field circuit so I had to keep it. Some of these type gens use the charging circuit of the motor for the 12V. This particular setup has an extra coil in the gen head that puts out 12V AC and an external 12V regulator that feeds into the box where it is rectified to DC and used to excite the field, run the low oil shutdown circuit, and charge 12V batteries.

It still needs an air filter. It is very loud.